JOANN BONEN JA DANNIE CADEN TARINAT

Borrelioosiin sairastuneiden henkilökohtaisia kokemuksia taudista ja sen hoidosta.

Valvojat: Borrelioosiyhdistys, Bb, Jatta1001

Vastaa Viestiin
Bb

JOANN BONEN JA DANNIE CADEN TARINAT

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bb » To Tammi 29, 2009 21:31

Joann Bone löysi vaellusmatkan jälkeen korvansa takaa punkin. Hänen kaularauhasensa turposivat ja vähitellen hän tuli yhä sairaammaksi. Hän oli koko ajan äärettömän väsynyt ja nukkui 18 tuntia päivässä. Lääkärit eivät tienneet tytön oireiden syytä. Äiti kyseli borrelioosin mahdollisuutta mutta lääkäreiden mukaan alueella ei ole borrelioosia. "Onneksi löysimme borrelioosiyhdistyksen. Ilman sitä taistelumme jatkuisi edelleen." Joann syö nyt antibiootteja puolen vuoden ajan. Hän ei vielä tällä hetkellä kykene jatkamaan koulunkäyntiään uupumuksen ja väsymyksen vuoksi.

Dannie Cadella oli borrelioosi yli 4 vuotta ennenkuin tauti diagnosoitiin ja hoidot aloitettiin. Aiemmin hän oli tehnyt kahta työtä - sairastuttuaan hän ei tahtonut jaksaa nostaa aterialautasta. Lääkäreiden mukaan hän sairasti fibromyalgiaa. Hän alkoi kuitenkin etsiä tietoa itse ja havaitsi oireidensa sopivan borrelioosiin. Lopulta hän löysi lääkärin joka tunnisti taudin ja aloitti hoidot. Cade käytti antibiootteja ja lisäravinteita 2 vuotta. Hänellä on edelleen jonkin verran oireita, mutta hän on jälleen aktiivinen ja mm. auttaa muita borrelioosiin sairastuneita.

The Daily News Kamloops, B.C. Canada June 1, 2006

Lyme disease likely behind girl?s tired condition

By Michele Young Daily News Staff Reporter

Joann Bone and her boyfriend were hiking in the hills behind Westsyde near Deep Lake in mid-March. He found three ticks right after; she found one quite a while later embedded behind her right ear.
He was fine. She had her lymph nodes swell; then she got progressively sicker.

She quickly went from Grade 10 honour-roll student who fished at every opportunity to an exhausted, ailing 15-year-old with symptoms that were a mystery to local doctors.

Her mother, Niki Bone, said she turned over every stone she could think of to find out what was making her daughter sick.

?The doctor couldn?t figure it out,? she said. ?She?s sleeping upwards of 18 hours a day.?

?I feel really needy. I don?t like being like this,? said Joann. ?I can barely pick up my math book.?

Bone said Wednesday she began to suspect her daughter had Lyme disease, which is commonly carried by ticks. However, local health officials have said there is no Lyme disease in this area.

A frustrated Bone contacted the Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation and its president, Jim Wilson, in Westbank.

From there, she was referred to Dannie Cade, a Kamloops woman who had Lyme disease for four and a half years before being diagnosed and getting help. (Dannie?s story is featured in the book, Confronting Lyme Disease: What Patient Stories Teach Us by Karen Yerges and Rita L. Stanley, Ph.D.)

Cade told about her own struggle at a meeting of the city?s Chronic Pain Association Wednesday.

?I went from working two jobs to not being able to lift a box of Kraft dinner,? She said.

Initially diagnosed with fibromyalgia, Cade said her illness and search for answers eventually led her to look into Lyme disease. There are strong similarities between Lyme and many other illnesses, including some types of arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and multiple sclerosis, she said.

The symptoms can include unexplained fever, sweating, chills or flushing, unexplained weight loss or gain, swollen glands, sore throat, fatigue unexplained hair loss, abdominal pain, shortness of breath, chest pain or rib soreness, muscle pain and stiffness of joints, neck or back.

?The doctors are just not knowledgeable about this disease,? said Cade.

?You lose your self-esteem. You lose your memory.?
The tests used in Canada aren?t very reliable, either, she said.
Eventually, Cade found a doctor in Hope who helped her and many others, including Joann Bone.

She took antibiotics and supplements for two years and while she still has some lingering effects, she is active and busy again. She?s also advocating for others with Lyme disease or who suspect they have it, saying she knows personally of at least 12 other people in Kamloops living with it.

?I?m one of the success stories, and I?m grateful for that. I was sick for a long time.?

Joann is eager to get back to her studies, but the doctor in Hope has said she?ll probably need to be on antibiotics for about six months. She tried returning to school earlier this week to get some books and quickly became dizzy.

Her mother said if she hadn?t found the Lyme Disease Foundation and Cade, she?d still be struggling to help her daughter.

?I would still be fighting,? she said.

Vastaa Viestiin