BROOKE LANDAU: MALLIN/REPORTTERIN/TUOTTAJAN TARINA

Borrelioosiin sairastuneiden henkilökohtaisia kokemuksia taudista ja sen hoidosta.

Valvojat: Borrelioosiyhdistys, Bb, Jatta1001

Vastaa Viestiin
Bb

BROOKE LANDAU: MALLIN/REPORTTERIN/TUOTTAJAN TARINA

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bb » Ti Tammi 27, 2009 21:43

Amerikkalaisen 32-vuotiaan mallin/reportterin/tuottajan 7 1/2 vuotta kestänyt borrelioositarina. Oireet: fatiikki, päänsärky, lihas/nivelkivut, ajoittaista kuulonmenetystä, näön heikkeneminen, muistin heikkeneminen, sydämen rytmihäiriöitä, sappikivet (Rocephalin-hoidosta?), suolistotulehdus, painon laskua jne. Lukuisia tutkimuksia, mm. 7 selkäydinpunktiota yms.

Pääsi 5 vuotta sitten hoitoon (tutkimus), jossa sai 2 kuukauden ajan antibiootteja suoraan sydämeen 24 tuntia vuorokaudessa sekä ylipainekammiossa happihoitoa kuukauden ajan yms. Kykenee tekemään töitä tällä hetkellä (televisiossa freelance-toimittaja/tuottaja).

Ex-Ridgefield model reveals 7½-year Lyme disease battle

By Robin DeMerell
NEWS-TIMES CORRESPONDENT 2004-11-08

Brooke Landau, a native of Ridgefield, will share the story of her fight to overcome Lyme disease this week on NBC?s "Today" show.
Brooke Landau had it all.

The former high-fashion runway model had just graduated from college and was embarking on a career as an international marketing manager with a Fortune 500 company.

Then a bite from a bug no bigger than a poppy seed changed all that. Her life was put on hold as she spent the next seven years battling a disease that almost cost Landau her life.

A 1990 graduate of Ridgefield High School who lives in California, Landau was diagnosed with Lyme disease in 1995.

"Doctors told me I might not live. But I had a different plan in mind," Landau said. "I've spent the last 7½ years fighting for my life and my health ? and surviving."

Later this week, Landau will tell her story on NBC's Today show on a segment that features survival stories.

"I wanted to talk to others because I would not have been sick for 7½ years if the insurance companies didn't make money off of sick people. It's business," Landau said. "They were unwilling to help find a cure."

Despite all the warnings, Landau, now a 32-year-old freelance reporter and producer, never worried about contracting Lyme disease. "I lived in Connecticut my whole life with deer in the back yard," Landau said. "I never thought twice about it. It's very scary. I don't think people can realize it can be a death sentence."

While at her parents' home in Ridgefield in 1995, Landau remembered finding a tick on her leg. But the first symptoms didn't appear for more than five months. "I literally took a walk out the door to the mailbox," Landau said. "I didn't think anything of it."

Landau, daughter of Frank Landau, now of Southbury and Dianne Landau of Malibu, Calif., said the disease attacked her suddenly. One day, she was fine and the next day she couldn't move her head or her legs.

"On that fateful day, I was rushed to the (Norwalk) hospital," Landau said. "Doctors there informed me that I would die within 48 hours if I did not undergo an emergency spinal tap. From the tap, the doctors diagnosed me with Lyme disease and spinal meningitis."

She gave up her job and spent the next several months in her parents' Ridgefield home. Every day brought crippling headaches, muscle and joint pain and fatigue. Landau said she often was rushed to Danbury Hospital for emergency treatments.

She experienced short-term memory loss and loss of hearing in her left ear. She began to lose sight in both eyes, developed heart arrhythmia, gallstones and colitis. She lost 30 pounds from her already thin frame ? at one point the 6-foot-tall former model weighed 120 pounds.

She has undergone various invasive procedures and treatments that included taking 27 pills a day.

"Yet nothing has restored me to the pain-free condition I once knew," said Landau, who has undergone seven spinal taps and two surgeries.

In 1996, Landau moved to Miami in hopes a warmer climate would lessen her joint pain. But, as the illness progressed, so did the pain.

She eventually met a doctor who Landau said saved her life.

By undergoing experimental treatments five years ago, Landau is able to do everything she could before ? including working out at a gym, salsa dancing five days a week and playing volleyball on the beach. "None of which I could do for years," she said.

"Brooke is a fighter," said her father. He remembers when she had several operations as a baby to correct a congenital heart defect. "It made her very tough. As a child, she always knew what she wanted. Her stick-to-it-iveness really showed during her illness. We're proud that she's never given up. But nobody should go through this stuff."

Because she was considered a research subject, she wasn't responsible for the medical costs that mounted to several hundred thousand dollars.

Treatment consisted of pumping high doses of antibiotics into her heart for 24-hours a day for two months. She also underwent 30 days of treatment in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber.

"It felt much like lying in a glass-enclosed coffin," she said. "The treatment was torture, but on the last day of treatment, I awoke free of joint pain for the first time in years. My hearing improved, my sight was better and I even regained my short-term memory." Although she was bedridden for more than a year during treatment, Landau wanted to be productive. She started a non-profit foundation working on her computer in bed. Sponsored by MAC Cosmetics, The Children's Alliance Network (CAN) organizes models and make-up artists to do makeovers for sick children.

"I was doing a lot while I was sick," Landau said. "But I would pay for it. One day of work could put me in the hospital for a week. I really believe that you can't curl up in a ball and let the illness get the best of you."

Since the treatment, Landau considers herself almost cured. The only symptom left is the headaches.

"They say I'm cured and that it's out of my system," Landau said. "They've determined I don't have Lyme disease anymore."

Landau went on to be a television anchor and reporter for CBS and ESPN. She now works as a freelance reporter for ESPN and a freelance producer for E! Entertainment.

The "Today" show opportunity came when she and an NBC reporter were covering the same story.

"Though I will probably have some measure of chronic pain throughout my life, I consider myself among the lucky," Landau said. "Through it all I've found an inner strength to fight and survive."
Viimeksi muokannut Bb, Pe Huhti 16, 2010 18:36. Yhteensä muokattu 2 kertaa.

Bb

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bb » Su Helmi 01, 2009 15:28

Tunnettu amerikkalainen TV-reportteri Brooke Landau on sairastanut borrelioosia vuosikausia. Oireina mm: halvaantuminen, rytmihäiriöitä, näkö-, kuulo- ja muistiongelmia. Hän sai lääkäriltään FDA:n suosituksista poikkeavan hoidon; 2 kk antibiootteja sydämeen + ylipainehappihoitoa. Hän saa edelleen antibiootteja ja voi paremmin. Hänellä on kuitenkin kipuja päivittäin.

Allaolevassa linkissä on Brooken TV-haastattelu. Hän kertoo Amerikassa olevan vain noin 7 borrelioosia todella hyvin tuntevaa ja hoitavaa lääkäriä! (Suomessa?) Hänellä oli vaikeuksia saada hoitoa koska kaikki borrelioositestit olivat toistuvasti negatiivisia.

www.10news.com/video/13903431/index.html?taf=sand

"10News' Brooke Landau Shares Story Of Lyme Disease Battle - Video - KGTV San Diego"

You would never know it but behind Brooke Landau's striking presence is one of the most extraordinary and unprecedented survival stories in medical literature. Having survived congenital heart disease and open-heart surgery as a child, Brooke learned how to persevere from an early age. But her greatest challenge came in 1995 during a 10-year battle with Lyme Disease.

Brooke lost her ability to walk, partial sight, hearing, short-term memory and suffered through seven spinal taps, numerous surgeries and finally?an experimental cure that saved her life but may have cost her doctor his medical license. Her unbelievable triumph has been featured on the TODAY SHOW, DISCOVERY CHANNEL, EXTRA, FOX, and various affiliates nationwide.

Brooke comes to KGTV with over ten years of television experience. Most recently she served as Producer for the E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY and Feature Reporter for ESPN, interviewing dozens of celebrities and high profile people: Rudy Giuliani, Troy Aikman, Peyton & Eli Manning, Pete Rose, Woody Harrelson, Jessica Simpson, Nick Lachey, and countless others.

From a very early age, Brooke possessed an inner strength and drive to succeed. After graduating Phi Beta Kappa, Brooke accepted a highly coveted management position with Coca-Cola beating out thousands of candidates nationwide.

After falling gravely ill, her unrelenting motivation landed her additional management positions at Fortune 500 Corporations: Nabisco, Timex, Warner Bros., and 20th Century Fox. And even while bedridden for over a year Brooke didn't give up. From a laptop in her bed, Brooke founded the Children's Alliance Network (C.A.N.) - a non-profit organization to help sick children nationwide.

Spotted in a store by a New York fashion designer, Brooke was offered a modeling contract and soon became a familiar figure at couture fashion shows walking the runway for world renown designers: Ralph Lauren, Nicole Miller, Gucci, Valentino and more.

After winning the Venus Swimwear International Model Search, Brooke showcased swimwear in print ads including Body Glove Swimwear and others.

Brooke made her move into broadcast television as Host of the 1997 Bob Marley Festival for MTV. But her entry into news was far from ordinary. Brooke pitched and co-produced her personal medical saga for Fox 11 News Los Angeles, helping to land the network the 2002 Emmy.

Brooke worked for KSWT/CBS in Yuma, Arizona as 6pm & 10pm Anchor and won awards for her reporting. She later spent time writing for KTLA/Los Angeles and producing for the E! True Hollywood Story and America's Most Wanted. Brooke's ability to ask the tough questions, combined with a unique sensitivity, was soon noted by ESPN executives who offered her the coveted Feature Reporter position for the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

Most recently Brooke has relocated to San Diego where she is thrilled to be a part of Traffic.com and the 10 News/KGTV team working as the station's Traffic Anchor. When she's not busy in front of the camera, Brooke is a National Spokesperson delivering Key Note and Motivational Speeches for the American Heart Association, Time for Lyme Inc., The Lyme Disease Association, Pfizer, Bayer, Coca-Cola, IBM, Tiffany's, Jet Blue, and many others to inspire and motivate audiences towards health and wellness. Brooke is a concert violinist and pianist of thirteen years.

These days, you'll also find her salsa dancing wherever she hears the music!
Viimeksi muokannut Bb, Pe Huhti 16, 2010 18:36. Yhteensä muokattu 2 kertaa.

Bb

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bb » Su Helmi 01, 2009 16:23

Brooke Landau on kertonut toistuvasti mediassa sairastumisestaan borrelioosiin. Häneltä voi kysyä asiasta suoraan esim. www.10news.com . Sähköpostiviestissään hän kertoo käyttäneensä lukuisia eri antibioottihoitoja 12 vuoden aikana. Vasta tri Burrascanon ohjeiden avulla hän on tullut parempaan kuntoon. Hän ei ole enää hengenvaarassa mutta negatiivisista testituloksista huolimatta hänellä on kuitenkin edelleen mm. nivelten turvotusta ja kipua ja päänsärkyä. Borrelioosiin erikoistuneiden lääkäreiden (LLMD) mukaan kroonisen borrelioosin hoito on enemmänkin "taidetta kuin tiedettä."

Ms. Landau has graciously allowed me to post her e-mail response to me verbatim. I hope this answers the many questions I've read concerning her story that appeared on ABC's Good Morning America recently. She asked me to also announce her TV station is starting an on-line blog about Lyme in the next few weeks. If it can wait, I'd suggest you hold further questions for the blog and then ask her directly. www.10news.com She also requests if anyone wishes to post her e-mail to me on any other site that she be allowed to approve doing so. E-mail me and I'll e-mail her. I told her she is performing a real service for us all by becoming an "unelected spokesperson" for the battle against Lyme!

Anyway, here is her e-mail.

Hi.

I'd be happy to answer your questions. It will be a little difficult to explain 12 yrs of treatment via email but I'll do the best I can here.

Please keep in mind (for yourself and others interested) that something I've learned is that no treatment is uniform for all patients when dealing with this illness. LLMD's will often say it's an art not just a science. That said....what's worked for me will not necessarily work for everyone. Their docs will have to make those decisions.

I had six co-infections, so my treatment would obviously be different from those with fewer, etc. I began with Rocephin to clear the spinal menengitis. Following that I had various antibiotics (you name it, I had it...and can't even recall all of them -- dozens including: Mepron/Zithromax -- but gave me colitis--Rocephin -- got gallstones--and more) but there was no rhyme or reason to it at that point so I did not get better for about a decade. Then I had 2 months of Clafron via central line in combination with 30 days of HBOT at 2.4 atmospheres (I think that's right if memory serves),
5 days/wk, 90 minutes/day.

Now...here's the important part you did not hear in the news stories: This treatment did NOT cure me. It definitely saved my life since I was hanging on by a thread at that point, but it did not clear the organism(s). I would later learn that not a single co-infection cleared. However, it DID help me immensely. I got my hearing back, joint pain resolved (temporarily), muscle burning, twitching, etc. But all of this was temporary. I can certainly say I am very happy I did it...it seemed to push back the disease(s) far enough that I survived, but it did not wipe them out. I was still highly infected (unaware of that at the time). I was finally cleared of all co-infections (including the LD) seven yrs later after very well-planned and well orchestrated combinations of oral antibx (again I can't recall them all but some included: Doxy, Doryx, Omnicef, Levoquin, Bactrim).

I received the antibiotics treatment per the Dr. Brascano guidelines and methods. He systematically hit each one. And the meds were adjusted and changed as tolerated/not tolerated...so it's difficult for me to say which drugs worked. Again, it is an art, not a science.

And one last note, although the infections are negative for now, there's still no telling for sure if those test results are accurate -- although it is believed to be accurate in my case. I do have some serious problems and pain still that has not resolved -- terrible headaches, some continued joint swelling and pain, and other more serious problems.
Hope this helps.

Best, Brooke

Bb

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bb » Su Helmi 01, 2009 17:01

Brooke Landau toimii aktiivisesti borrelioositietouden edistämiseksi. Hän sai pitkäaikaisen antibioottihoidon ja voi paremmin.

Brooke Landau
10News Traffic Reporter

http://www.10news.com/kgtvnewsteam/11138901/detail.html

POSTED: 4:38 pm PST February 28, 2007
UPDATED: 2:39 pm PDT March 20, 2007

You would never know it but behind Brooke Landau's striking presence is one of the most extraordinary and unprecedented survival stories in medical literature. Having survived congenital heart disease and open-heart surgery as a child, Brooke learned how to persevere from an early age. But her greatest challenge came in 1995 during a 10-year battle with Lyme Disease.

Brooke lost her ability to walk, partial sight, hearing, short-term memory and suffered through seven spinal taps, numerous surgeries and finally?an experimental cure that saved her life but may have cost her doctor his medical license. Her unbelievable triumph has been featured on the TODAY SHOW, DISCOVERY CHANNEL, EXTRA, FOX, and various affiliates nationwide.

Brooke comes to KGTV with over ten years of television experience. Most recently she served as Producer for the E! TRUE HOLLYWOOD STORY and Feature Reporter for ESPN, interviewing dozens of celebrities and high profile people: Rudy Giuliani, Troy Aikman, Peyton & Eli Manning, Pete Rose, Woody Harrelson, Jessica Simpson, Nick Lachey, and countless others.

From a very early age, Brooke possessed an inner strength and drive to succeed. After graduating Phi Beta Kappa, Brooke accepted a highly coveted management position with Coca-Cola beating out thousands of candidates nationwide.

After falling gravely ill, her unrelenting motivation landed her additional management positions at Fortune 500 Corporations: Nabisco, Timex, Warner Bros., and 20th Century Fox. And even while bedridden for over a year Brooke didn't give up. From a laptop in her bed, Brooke founded the Children's Alliance Network (C.A.N.) - a non-profit organization to help sick children nationwide.

Spotted in a store by a New York fashion designer, Brooke was offered a modeling contract and soon became a familiar figure at couture fashion shows walking the runway for world renown designers: Ralph Lauren, Nicole Miller, Gucci, Valentino and more.

After winning the Venus Swimwear International Model Search, Brooke showcased swimwear in print ads including Body Glove Swimwear and others.

Brooke made her move into broadcast television as Host of the 1997 Bob Marley Festival for MTV. But her entry into news was far from ordinary. Brooke pitched and co-produced her personal medical saga for Fox 11 News Los Angeles, helping to land the network the 2002 Emmy.

Brooke worked for KSWT/CBS in Yuma, Arizona as 6pm & 10pm Anchor and won awards for her reporting. She later spent time writing for KTLA/Los Angeles and producing for the E! True Hollywood Story and America's Most Wanted. Brooke's ability to ask the tough questions, combined with a unique sensitivity, was soon noted by ESPN executives who offered her the coveted Feature Reporter position for the Kentucky Derby and Preakness.

Most recently Brooke has relocated to San Diego where she is thrilled to be a part of Traffic.com and the 10 News/KGTV team working as the station's Traffic Anchor. When she's not busy in front of the camera, Brooke is a National Spokesperson delivering Key Note and Motivational Speeches for the American Heart Association, Time for Lyme Inc., The Lyme Disease Association, Pfizer, Bayer, Coca-Cola, IBM, Tiffany's, Jet Blue, and many others to inspire and motivate audiences towards health and wellness. Brooke is a concert violinist and pianist of thirteen years.

These days, you'll also find her salsa dancing wherever she hears the music!

To reach Brooke Landau or to inquire about her speaking at your event, you can reach her at: BLandau@Traffic.com.
Viimeksi muokannut Bb, Pe Huhti 16, 2010 18:37. Yhteensä muokattu 2 kertaa.

Bb

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bb » Su Helmi 01, 2009 17:05

Sivuja joilta löytyy esim. videoesitys Landaun kokemuksista:

For those of you not in the San Diego area, you will be able to watch it on our website: www.10news.com. In addition, 10 News will be creating a Lyme Blog which I will host. You will likely find that on my bio page:

http://www.10news.com/kgtvnewsteam/11138901/detail.html

For anyone who missed the 10 News story here is the link:

http://www.10news.com/video/13903431/index.html

Bb

Viesti Kirjoittaja Bb » Su Helmi 01, 2009 18:29

Amerikkalainen TV-toimittaja Brooke Landau on sairastanut borrelioosia jo 12 vuotta. Häntä on haastateltu kuluneen vuoden aikana lukuisia kertoja eri medioissa. Seuraavassa artikkelissa on hänen haastattelunsa SanDiego -lehdessä. Brooke on saanut sairautensa aikana aivokalvontulehduksen, sappikivet, suolistotulehduksen, sydämen rytmihäiriöitä jne. Hän kertoo selvinneensä hengissä sairaudestaan muutaman lääkärin ansiosta. He olivat valmiit riskeeraamaan lääkärinlupakirjansa (yksi menettikin sen ja yksi joutui vuoden tarkkailuun) antaessaan hänelle huomattavasti normaalikäytäntöä pidempiä ja voimakkaampia antibioottihoitoja. Artikkelin lopussa hän antaa erityiskiitokset lääkäri J. Burrascanolle, joka ainoana lääkärinä on kyennyt pysäyttämään taudinkulun ja mahdollistamaan Brooken paluun työelämään.

http://www.sandiegomagazine.com/media/S ... ?cp=3&si=2

Front Pages
By Julia Beeson

(page 3 of 5)

Etc.
Brooke Landau

SURVIVOR OF A NEARLY LETHAL 12-year battle with Lyme disease, Channel 10 News traffic reporter Brooke Landau is not faint of heart. During her battle with Lyme, she developed a number of medical conditions, including spinal meningitis, gallstones, colitis and heart arrhythmia. She finally tested negative for Lyme several months ago??thanks to a doctor who put his medical license on the line (and later lost it). Landau?s physician pumped high doses of non-FDA-approved antibiotics into her heart for two months and put her through 30 days of treatment in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber to cure her condition. She?s walked the runway for top designers (Valentino and Gucci, to name two), founded the Children?s Alliance Network (a nonprofit that aids sick children worldwide) and served as a feature reporter for ESPN. Her exceptional inner drive, upbeat outlook and refusal to compromise her beliefs stem from the genuine belief that anyone?s life can take a positive turn.
??VALERIE JENNISON

Q&A

Q: What?s kept you going during hard times?
A: I live life with a relentless hope??and that can never be taken away.

Q: What is the hardest lesson you?ve ever learned?
A: That things can change in an instant.

Q: Who are your role models?
A: My mother and father. They?re extraordinary people.

Q: If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be, and why?
A: Who needs to be anywhere else when you already live in the greatest city in the country?

Q: If your life was made into a movie, what actress would you want to play you?
A: Jamie-Lynn Sigler [of The Sopranos], since she had Lyme disease as well.

Q: What is your pet peeve?
A: Drivers who speed up instead of letting you in.

Q: What phrase do you overuse?
A: Leave enough space between you and the car in front of you.

Q: What?s the worst pickup line you?ve ever heard?
A: ?Do you have a map? I just keep getting lost in your eyes.?
Favorites

Color: Midnight blue

Book/Author: Alive and Kicking by (former Chargers kicker) Rolf Benirschke

TV show: Dancing with the Stars

Movie: The Shawshank Redemption and Dumb & Dumber (yes, I notice the dichotomy!)

Song: ?Whenever You Come Around? by Vince Gill

Cocktail: Corona with lime (paired with a game of pool)

Restaurant: Bertrand at Mister A?s??what a view!

Meal: The leftovers from Fear Factor

Dessert: Ice cream!!!

Workout: Stairmaster, crunches and dancing

Sport: I was a competitive gymnast for 14 years and trained in Romania with Nadia Comaneci and the ?92 Olympic team.

Way to waste a day off: Sleeping in ?til 6 a.m.

Hero: Dr. Joseph Burrascano??the only doctor able to cure me from a 12-year battle with Lyme

Vastaa Viestiin