DARYLIN TARINA: BORRELIOOSI JA EHRLICHIOOSI

Borrelioosiin sairastuneiden henkilökohtaisia kokemuksia taudista ja sen hoidosta.

Valvojat: Borrelioosiyhdistys, Bb, Jatta1001

DARYLIN TARINA: BORRELIOOSI JA EHRLICHIOOSI

ViestiKirjoittaja Bb » To Tammi 29, 2009 14:01

Daryl on laulaja joka sairastui borrelioosiin ja ehrlichioosiin.

"Lauantaina kesäkuun 18. 2005 oloni oli hyvä. Seuraavana aamuna herätessäni oloni oli aivan kuin minua olisi hakattu pesäpallomailalla. Pääni, ihoni, luuni särkivät. Maanantaina nousi kuume."

Hän sai hoidoksi doksisykliiniä. Hän toivoo parantuneensa mutta ei ole siitä missään tapauksessa varma.

Darylin mukaan borrelioosi ja muut punkkien levittämät taudit ovat vakavia sairauksia. Asiaa ei jostakin syystä tunnusteta riittävästi mediassa ja terveydenhuoltohenkilökunnan parissa. Krooninen borrelioosi aiheuttaa niveltulehduksia, sydänongelmia - jopa kuoleman. Asia on vakava ja siitä tulisi tiedottaa enemmän julkisuudessa.

Lyme Disease

OK everybody! Here's my story so far...

On Saturday, June 18th, I played a great acoustic show for a Northern Dutchess County Benefit. All went well - I felt fine.

On Sunday, I woke up feeling as though I had been beaten with a baseball bat. My bones ached, I had a headache my skin and hair hurt!

Monday, I developed a fever of 103 degrees. Not pleasant, especially because I was supposed to fly to San Diego to play a show the following day. I talked to Brian Doyle: he suggested I travel the day of the show (Tues), opportunistically hoping that this was a 24 hour flu that would blow through me.

On Tuesday morning, I woke up with a 101 degree temp, but still left the house, drove 2 hours to JFK, flew 5 hours to LAX, drove 3 hours in traffic to San Diego and played the show! Talk about "Doing It For Love!"

After the show, I literally thought I was going to drop dead! I was supposed to do another show in San Diego the next day, but I told everyone to cancel - there was just no way I could do it.

I then had two days off (supposedly to recover) in time for the next show in Phoenix. On the first day off, I traveled to L.A. (still with a fever), saw a doctor there, who gave me B12 and cortizone.

The following day, I still had a fever, but flew to Phoenix anyway. I felt terrible! It was 108 degrees in Phoenix and felt like 180 with my fever. At 8:00 p.m., I hit the stage.

After about 4 or 5 songs (Used To Be My Girl), I suddenly felt a wave of fainting and nausea hit me and knew I had to stop immediately. So, I just said, "Sorry everybody, but I have to leave the stage." John then took over, singing 3 or 4 songs. I could hear him from backstage and they sounded great. I particularly remember a great version of Italian Girls! (By the way, all this was recorded on the new "Instant Live" system, so if you're curious, you can get this show online!)

So anyway, there I was backstage - totally out of it - but my will (and maybe stupidity) won out. I returned to do a few songs at the end. Am I a trooper or what?!

After that, I realized that it was not smart to continue the tour feeling the way I felt, with what I thought was a "killer flu." I returned to upstate NY where I just laid in bed for days with a fever that just wouldn't go away. After more of this, I grew increasingly sure that this was not simply the flu!

Sara Allen (my unofficial doctor up here) suggested I go to the local hospital for blood test to check for Lyme disease, a very common malady in the part of the world. I did this, and after having to wait out the drawn out 4th of July weekend, finally got my results sent to my Dr. in NYC.

I went into town to see the doctor, and he told me I tested positive for Erlichia, a tick-borne disease, but I was too early to get a reading on Lyme. I then showed him a three inch red ring with a bite-like center that had appeared the night before - Voila! Lyme Disease!

I have since been put on an antibiotic (doxycycline) for one month, and if all goes well (by no means assured), I will be cured. I hope this is the way it works out, 'cause I MISS YOU GUYS and want to get back on the road. Let's hope for the best.

Lyme and other tick-related diseases are very serious maladies that for some reason have been underplayed by the media and medical profession. Chronic Lyme causes arthritis, heart problems, stroke - even death. This is serious stuff, and the public should be better informed, as it has reached epidemic proportions in the Northeast! You'll be hearing more from me about this. Wish me well!

Daryl
Viimeksi muokannut Bb päivämäärä Pe Huhti 16, 2010 19:40, muokattu yhteensä 2 kertaa
Bb

ViestiKirjoittaja Bb » To Tammi 29, 2009 16:18

Muusikko Daryl Hallilla diagnosoitiin borrelioosi viime vuonna. Hänen oireensa alkoivat kesken konsertin. Hänestä tuntui, että hänen elimistönsä pysähtyi yhtäkkiä kesken laulun. "Tuntui kuin joku olisi sulkenut katkaisijan. Minua pyörrytti, oksetti jne. Kun sain tietää sairastavani borrelioosia, olin aluksi helpottunut. Mitä enemmän olen kuullut taudista, sitä enemmän olen alkanut pelätä."

Posted on Wed, Feb. 08, 2006

Musician Daryl Hall talks about battle with lyme disease

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - Musician Daryl Hall, who was diagnosed with lyme disease last year, says he felt his body "shut down" during a concert last summer when the symptoms first hit him.

The 56-year-old Hall, half of pop duo Hall and Oates, said he was in Phoenix at the time.

"I was in the middle of a song and it just felt like a complete core body shutdown," Hall said in an interview with "Inside Edition" that was scheduled to air Wednesday. "It's like somebody just turned the switch. I felt like I was going to faint, throw up, fall down, everything all at once."

Hall said he had mixed emotions after being diagnosed.

"At first, I had relief because I said, 'OK, now I know that I have something,'" he said. "But then the fear came. The more I read about this, the more I heard about it, the more it scared me."

Lyme disease, caused by the bite of infected deer ticks, can cause arthritis, neurological problems and encephalitis, a potentially deadly brain inflammation. Early signs include a red "bulls-eye" rash that slowly spreads and flu-like symptoms.

Hall and Oates are best known for a stream of 1980s hits, including "Kiss on My List," "Maneater" and "I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)."
Bb

ViestiKirjoittaja Bb » To Tammi 29, 2009 16:25

Hall on esiintynyt juuri mm. televisiossa ja kertonut punkkien levittämien tautien vaarallisuudesta ja siitä, että yleisesti ajatellaan lyhyiden antibioottihoitojen parantavan taudin, vaikka näin ei välttämättä ole. Hallin sairastumisesta kerrottiin viime elokuussa myös lehdistössä seuraavasti:

Laulaja Darryll Hallilla oli hengenvaarallinen kesä. Hän tuupertui kuumeisena konserttilavalla viime kesäkuussa.

Miten voit tällä hetkellä?

Vointini on aika hyvä vaikkakaan ei täydellinen. Punkkien levittämistä sairauksista toipuminen kestää pitkään - jos on onnekas, voi parantua. Sairastumiseni jälkeen olen tullut "borrelioosiasiantuntijaksi". Yleisesti ajatellaan, että sehän on VAIN borrelioosi ja ihmiset ehdottelevat erilaisia hoitokeinoja. Onnekseni sairauteni todettiin varhaisessa vaiheessa. Lääkärini on borrelioosiasiantuntija, kuitenkin hän käyttää sanaa "parantuminen". Tuota sanaa ei juuri käytetä borrelioosista puhuttaessa.

Kuinka tiesit sairastavasi borrelioosia?

Minulla oli korkea kuume, pääni ja luuni särkivät ja lihakseni nykivät. Tuntui kuin olisin sairastunut maailman pahimpaan influenssaan. Testeissä minulla todettiin ehrlichioosi.

Vaikka Hall harrastaa urheilua, hän pelkäsi, ettei kykene enää suoriutumaan fyysisesti työstään. Hän ajatteli oliko hänen laulajauransa mahdollisesti lopussa tai jopa elämänsä päättymässä sairauden vuoksi.

After facing Lyme disease, Hall is ready to rock

By Steve Morse, Globe Staff | August 23, 2005

http://www.personalconsult.com/articles ... lhall.html

Singer Daryl Hall has endured a potentially life-threatening summer. He was diagnosed with Lyme disease after stumbling offstage with a 102-degree fever in June. He and touring partner John Oates -- one of the most popular soul-pop duos of the past 20 years -- canceled their July shows as Hall sought medical help and retreated to his upstate New York home. Hall & Oates are now launching a national tour (with Todd Rundgren opening) at the Bank of America Pavilion tonight. Hall recently spoke about his ordeal for the first time.

How is your health right now?

I'm not out of the woods, but I'm fine, let's put it that way. With tick-related diseases, it takes a long time to rid yourself of these things -- if you're lucky enough to actually be able to do that. I've become an instant expert on this, having been exposed to it. I actually have four tick-related diseases. Everybody thinks it's just Lyme disease -- and they all have different cures. But I was lucky. I caught it fairly early and my doctor, who is considered to be one of the top experts on this in the world, is using the word ''cure." And that's a rare word to use with Lyme disease.

How did you know you had it?

I had this raging fever, and my bones were aching and my muscles were twitching. And I had an extreme headache. I just felt like I had the worst flu in the world . . . I was tested and what came up was a disease called ehrlichiosis.
Were there any fears that you might not play any dates this summer?

I was seriously scared for a while. I mean, I'm an athlete of sorts. What I do is very physical. If you have this stuff, you can maybe stumble into the office and work if you have a sedentary kind of job. But if you do what I do, you've got to be in peak condition. People are paying money to see me do my best, and that's the only thing I accept is to do my best. And when I was faced with the possibility in the beginning of not knowing where I was at, it was terrifying. It was, 'What am I going to do? Is life over? Can I sing again? Can I get onstage again?' All these things went through my mind.

Is there another album in your future?

Yes, and I'm already writing. I had plenty of chances to write this summer. I wasn't doing anything else. I was just sitting around with my guitar and my keyboards and my sickness, but I've been coming up with a lot of ideas. I hope we can get another album out by the end of '06.

Source: Boston Globe & New York Times
Bb

Paluu BORRELIOOSIKOKEMUKSIA ULKOMAILTA