Britannia: Äiti vei Danielin lasten poliklinikalle koska tällä oli niskassa ihon alla punkki. Sairaalassa mietittiin mitä ongelmalle pitäisi tehdä. Äiti otti sillä välin yhteyttä eläinlääkäriasemalle ja punkki poistettiin siellä.
Toddler from Bolton with tick under his skin is treated by a VET
http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/news/ ... _by_a_VET/
8:49am Friday 6th November 2009
A TODDLER who was taken to hospital after a tick burrowed under his skin, ended up being treated by a vet.
Vanessa Marsden took her 19-month-old son, Daniel, to the children?s accident and emergency department at the Royal Bolton Hospital after discovering the blood-sucking parasite on his head.
Ticks normally live on animals but can attach themselves to humans and cause Lyme disease, which can have serious effects.
But while a nurse was working out how to deal with the rare problem, Mrs Marsden contacted a veterinary surgery, where bosses agreed to treat her son.
Hospital chiefs said the tick would have been dealt with by their staff had Mrs Marsden waited.
Mrs Marsden, aged 38, of Saltram Close, Bradley Fold, said: ?I feel upset because you expect to be in the best hands at the hospital but we more or less sorted it ourselves.
?They didn?t seem to know what to do but the nurse at the vets was fantastic.?
Mrs Marsden?s husband, Gary, aged 44, added: ?When Vanessa rang me and said she had taken Daniel to the vets I thought she was joking.
?Daniel got better service there than at the hospital.?
The couple, who also have a four-year-old son, Matthew, believe Daniel may have picked up the tick on a recent trip to Center Parcs in Cumbria. The parasites live in tall grass and trees.
Mrs Marsden spotted the tick in the back of Daniel?s head and took him to hospital where he was seen straight away but she claims the nurse did not know what to do. She decided to ring Darley House Veterinary Surgery, in Farnworth, who said they would see Daniel.
Mrs Marsden said: ?Darley House were absolutely fantastic. We were in and out in 10 minutes and there was no charge.
?I want to share our story to raise awareness about ticks and how to deal with them.?
Daniel is recovering well after his ordeal and his parents are keeping a close eye on him.
Heather Edwards, head of communications at the hospital, said: ?The nurse involved had not seen a tick bite before while working in our department but this is not surprising as it is not common in Bolton.
?We do see tick bites though and can manage them within the department.
?The nurse did the correct thing in asking for advice from one of the doctors, looking it up on a information website and waiting for the patient to be seen by one of the doctors.
?The relatives contacted a vet while waiting to be seen and decided to go to there. This was not on the advice of our staff as it would have been dealt with correctly when the patient was seen by the doctor.?
Darley House veterinary nurse Gemma Yates said: ?This is something we would expect the hospital to be able to deal with although they won?t see it very regularly. We were only too happy to help but it?s rare for us to treat humans instead of animals.?